You are going to love cooking this Asian inspired beef stew. It’s easy to make at home, and a perfect dish for a cold weather supper. You’ll appreciate the oriental flavours, and it doesn’t require any special utensils. Serve this with any kind of Asian noodles. There’s lot of sauce.
|SHANGHI BEEF BRAISE WITH BOK-CHOY|| |
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Generous pound of braising steak cut into bite size pieces sprinkled with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 large fat garlic clove, crushed, about 1 tbsp
- 1 large shallot sliced
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 3 cups beef stock
- ½ cup Chinese rice wine
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 star anise cloves
- 1 fresh red chile, sliced, leave the seeds in for extra zip
- Freshly squeezed juice of ½ orange or in a pinch 2 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tsp honey
- 4-6 baby bok choy depending on size
- Asian noodles - to serve
- Core the bok choy. Cut the white part into ½ inch slices; leave the greens large or cut in half.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large sauce pan.
- Add the steak and cook until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, shallot and ginger to the saucepan along with a little more oil if necessary and cook, stirring constantly for l minute.
- Add the stock, rice wine, hoisin sauce, cumin, star anise, chile, orange juice and honey. Stir to blend and bring to a boil.
- Return steak to the pan and reduce heat and simmer very gently uncovered for 1 to 1½ hours until meat is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the white part of the bok choy to the saucepan and increase the heat and cook until just tender 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the greens and cook until just wilted, about 2=3 minutes.
- Fish around in your stew and pick out the star anise cloves and discard.
- Serve immediately with Asian noodles of your choice.
SHANGHI BEEF BRAISE WITH BOY-CHOY …serves 4
2 tbsp vegetable oil
A generous pound of braising steak, cut into bite-size pieces, sprinkled with salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large fat garlic clove, crushed
1 large shallot, sliced
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 cups beef stock
1/2 cup Chinese rice wine
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 star anise cloves
1 fresh red chile, sliced, leave the seeds in for extra zip
freshly squeezed juice of a 1/2 orange or in a pinch 2 tbs. frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tsp honey
4-6 baby bok-choy
Asian noodles, to serve
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the steak and cook until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add the garlic, shallot and ginger to the saucepan along with a little more oil if necessary and cook, stirring constantly for l minute. Add the stock, rice wine, hoisin sauce, cumin, star anise, chile, orange juice and honey. Stir to blend and bring to a boil.
Return the steak to the sauce pan, reduce the heat, and simmer very gently, uncovered for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning.