This recipe for CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE goes back to the late Fifties. It is a doodle to whip up. Presents beautifully. And tastes decadently divine. I have probably made it over seven hundred times and last week I made it for my friend Kate. It was received with so much enthusiasm and appreciation I renamed it KATE’SCAKE. Kate is a remarkable woman in a demanding profession. She was ships bridge officer on luxury cruise ships for years and now continues her relationship with marine transportation at SeaSpan here on the west coast. This recipe is perfect for Kate. She loves baking but has little time to shop for exotic ingredients or spend hours in the kitchen.
|CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE ... quick, easy and so delicious|| |
: quick breads
: Mrs. Butterfingers
This is so easy to make and you should have all of the ingredients in your pantry. The buttery,cinnamon flavored sugar topping is deliciously addictive. I've been baking this coffee cake for over fifty years. It's a winner.
- For the topping:
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- For the cake:
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter (about scant 3 oz.)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole or 2 % milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Topping: Melt the butter, stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- The Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter an 8 inch square (or round cake pan) and line with parchment paper.
- Measure flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into food processor and blend briefly.
- Add the butter and process 6 to 8 seconds until it is a fine crumb.
- Turn the flour mixture out into a large mixing bowl.
- Whip the egg, milk and vanilla together.
- Make a hollow in the flour mixture, and add the milk egg mixture and combine with dry ingredients MIXING JUST UNTIL MOISTENED.
- Turn into pan and sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Bake in moderate oven *350F) for 40 to 45 minutes. The center of the cake should be firm to the touch.
- Leave the cake in the pan and cut into generous serving pieces. This cake is delicious served with a generous dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Chef notes: You can sprinkle this cake with a generous handful of chopped nuts before adding the sugar cinnamon mixture.