The other day my dear friend and close neighbor Angela delivered the most gorgeous box of tree – ripened peaches. Enormous peaches sweet and juicy beyond belief. The next day Angela delivered a bubbling peach cobbler. What an absolute treat. Angela’s recipe is so delicious I simply must share it with you. Old Fashioned cobblers are easy to make and you can use almost any fruit, but I think peach cobblers are my absolute favorite.
This recipe serves 8-10
For the peaches:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
6 generous cups sliced peeled fresh peaches
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup (2 1/2 oz.) butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
In a bowl, combine sugar, flour and nutmeg. Mix well.
Peel and slice peaches. To remove the peach skin easily put the peaches into a large bowl and pour boiling water to cover. Let sit for a couple of minutes and then drain off the water.
Add the flour mixture to the peaches and stir well to coat. Put the peaches into a greased 11-in x 7-in. x 2-in. taking pan.
To prepare the topping combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Whisk the eggs and vanilla together.
Stir into flour mixture until JUST combined.
Spoon over peaches. It is alright not to have the peaches completely covered.
Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
Serve hot or cold with ice cream if desired.
|PEACH COBBLER|| || |
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- 6 cups peeled sliced fresh peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup cold butter or margarine
- 2 eggs beaten
- In a bowl combine sugar, flour and nutmeg.
- Add peaches and stir to coat.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2 in. baking pan.
- For the topping combine sugar, flour baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla mixture.
- Spoon over peaches.
- Bake at 375 F for 35 -45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and the topping is golden.
- Serve hot of cold with ice cream if desired