Blackberries grow wild and unruly steps from my kitchen door. Protecting my arms from attacking thorns and armed with a bucket I can cheerfully spend a glorious afternoon plundering the blackberry vines. In summer I pick them warm from the sun and sprinkle them over homemade vanilla ice cream. A heavenly delight! Blackberries freeze well and I fill my freezer for baking during the winter months. Tonight for dessert I am making a luscious Blackberry Cobbler.
|BLACKBERRY COBBLER|| |
- About 4 cups thawed blackberries drained and about l cup of the reserved blackberry juice.
- ½ cup sugar mixed with l tbsp cornstarch.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tbsp sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup heavy cream plus extra for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Sprinkle the blackberries with the sugar mixture and toss gently.
- To make the topping put flour, sugar, salt, baking power and lemon zest in a food processor and pulse to mix.
- Add the butter and pulse 2 or 3 times to cut into pea-size pieces.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and make a well in the center of the mixture and add the cream. Stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Pile the filing into a baking dish that is at least three inches tall.
- Crumble pieces of the topping to cover the filling.
- Brush the topping with some additional heavy cream and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bulling - about 40 minutes.(It is a good idea to set the baking dish on a cookie sheet or pan to catch any spillovers.