Here’s an unusual little cookie that will have you swooning with delight. A cookie with black and red pepper! Bittersweet chocolate mellows the ground peppers’ heat. A little sprinkle of Malden salt to finish and your taste buds will do a Mexican Hat Dance with delight.
|MEXICAN CHOCOLATE COOKIES|| |
: Mrs Butterfingers
These cookies with bittersweet chocolate that mellows the ground peppers' heat are absolutely addictive.
- 5 ounces bittersweet (60 percent cacao) chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about ¾ cup)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Malden salt - or coarse sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl set in a saute pan of warm water over low heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine flour , cinnamon, baking powder, salt and peppers and combine well with a whisk.
- Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add egg; beat well.
- Add cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat just until blended.
- Add flour mixture and beat just until blended.
- Chill cookie dough overnight.
- Fifteen minutes before baking remove from the fridge.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- Bake at 350F. for 10 minutes or until ALMOST set.
- Remove from oven and cool on pans 2 minutes or until set.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with a little Malden salt or
- Dust with a little powdered sugar to serve.
- Yield - 32 cookies
Pingback: MEXICAN CHOCOLATE COOKIES | Bel' Occhio's Blog
Pingback: Mexican Chocolate Cookies . . . Daringly delicious | Bel' Occhio