Saturday night in our home means pizza and a movie. The heavenly aroma of baking pizza drifts through the kitchen. We pour a robust glass of red wine and put this absolutely outstanding pizza together. We have probably made several thousand pizzas in our time. (We owned the award winning artisan Vancouver pizzeria PASSIONATE PIZZA). Of all the pizzas we made this is hands down our favorite creation. The sweet potatoes add texture and sweet undertones, and the eggplant is so tender and delicious it melts in your mouth.
|VEGETARIAN GRILLED SWEET POTATO EGGPLANT PIZZA|| |
- 2 slender sweet potatoes (about 1 pound) cut into ½ inch thick coins
- 2 small Japanese eggplants cut into ½ inch thick coins
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into ¼ inch thick strips
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper, dried oregano (or fresh if you have it)
- Pizza dough sufficient for 2 12 ounce pizzas, or 2 pounds frozen pizza dough, defrosted. For our dough recipe see recipe below
- 1½ cups tomato sauce (home made or store-brought)
- 3 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese (about 12 ounces)
- Cornmeal for pizza peel
- Fresh basil, torn for garnish if desired.
- Put your pizza stone in the oven and preheat heat to 500F about an hour before you wish to make the pizza.
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes, eggplant and peppers with ¼ cup olive oil and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper,and dried oregano. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Oven grill your vegetables (or grill on bbq).
- Grill in batches until softened but still crunchy. About 10 minutes for sweet potatoes and 8 minutes for eggplants and peppers. Transfer to a plate and set a side.
- Sprinkle the onions with a little salt and saute just until tender - don't let them brown.
- Roll out dough to make two 12 inch pizzas and place on flat sheets or pizza pans.
- Let dock(rise) for about 15 minutes for the dough to rise a little. (The secret for tender, puffy pizza with a crisp crust).
- Brush your uncooked pizza with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread with tomato sauce.
- Top with a little shredded cheese.
- Top with the grilled vegetables followed by the rest of the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle you pizza peel with a little cornmeal and gently slip your pizza on to the peel, then onto the pizza stone.
- Bake your pizza for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the crust is a delicious brown.
- Brush the shoulders(the sides of the pizza) with a little olive oil and serve immediately.
PASSIONATE PIZZA – pizza recipe and instructions
BASIC TOMATO SAUCE for pizza