I have a magic zucchini factory in the garden. One minute beautiful yellow flowers, then POOF elegant slender zucchini.
. They can be served as an hors d’oeuvre or a starter course. They don’t need a sauce. Simply sprinkle some flaky sea salt and crumbled feta cheese on top of these crispy darlings.
Have enough oil in you pan, and the pan at the correct temperature to saute these fritters to a perfect crispness.
|ZUCCHINI FRITTERS WITH FETA ... (aka KEFTEDES)|| |
: Mrs. Butterfingers
Keftedes can be made with tomatoes, chickpeas, ground meat, and zucchini. They can be served as an hors d'oeuvre or a starter course. They don't need a sauce. Sprinkle some salt and crumbled feta on top
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 generous tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1½ tbsp chopped fresh dill,
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 generous tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 fat garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper (be generous)
- 4 ounces (around 1 cup) feta cheese, coarsely chopped or crumbled
- Grated zest of l lemon
- l large egg
- ¼ cup (or more if required) all-purpose flour
- Canola oil, for pan-frying
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (if desired for garnish)
- Fine sea salt, for finishing
- Grate the zucchini on the large holes of a grater onto a clean kitchen towel. Sprinkle with the kosher salt and let it rest while you gather and prep the remaining ingredients.
- Wrap the zucchini in the towel and wring as much liquid out of it as possible, discarding the liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, mint, parsley, dill, onion, garlic, pepper, feta, and all but l teaspoon of the lemon zest.
- Stir in the egg and flour and mix until well combined. If your mixture seems to have a little too much liquid add additional flour.
- Put the canola oil into a large shallow pan; you want about ¼ inch or enough so that when all the fritters are in the pan, the oil comes halfway up their sides. Place the pan over medium-high heat.
- Form fritters by hand or using a ¼ cup measure, and fry them in the hot oil in batches. Cook until the fritters are golden brown on each side, 4 to 6 minutes in total. Drain on paper towels.
- Trans the fritters to a plate and garnish with a dollop of
- Green yogurt and a sprinkling of dill, the reserved lemon zest, and some sea salt.
Pingback: THE MAGIC VEGETABLE … ZUCCHINI FRITTERS WITH FETA | Bel' Occhio