How can anything that looks this good, tastes so delicious, be so easy to create. It took me just ten minutes and a few ingredients to make these pickled red onions that last for several weeks in your refrigerator.
Pickled red onions add zing as a condiment on barbequed hamburger or tacos.. Rich meat sandwiches such as pulled pork benefit immensely by this intense layer of flavour.
Pickled red onions add glamor to staid potato salads and egg salad sandwiches practically beg to be included in this gorgeous combination of flavours.
Toss a few of these ringed beauties into a lettuce or grain salad. Beguile sturdy greens such as kale with pickled red onions and some crisp smoky bacon pieces.
You may vary this recipe by adding different spices to your vinegar mixture. For an exotic Asian flavour add such spices as star anise, cinnamon sticks, Szechuan peppers or fresh ginger. This combination of spices and red onion would make the perfect garnish for a stir fry or other Asian dishes.
Add onions to vinegar mixture, toss well and put into jars. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.
|HOW TO MAKE SUPER QUICK, SUPER EASY PICKLED RED ONIONS
- 1 firm red onion (about 5 oz) cut into ¼ inch rings
- 2 fat garlic cloves cut in half
- 5 black peppercorns
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ cup light coloured vinegar such as rice, white wine or apple cider
- Put the onion slices and garlic in a colander in the sink. Pour boiling water over the onions and let drain.
- Mix the vinegar, salt and sugar, thyme and peppercorns in a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add the drained onion and garlic.
- Toss the mixture and pack into glass or ceramic jars.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before using.
- Will keep several weeks in the refrigerate.