Take the classic ingredient for Puttanesca sauce. Deconstruct the recipe. Now it becomes an extraordinary salsa perfect for everything from grilled sausages and fish to grilled bread.
Using this basic recipe you can joyful indulge in your own favorite flavours and make this sauce very much your own.
Tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovy fillets and garlic are the ingredients of this briny salsa. Add a handful of chopped fresh basil. A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Perhaps a little extra capers or use green Castelvetrano olives instead of Kalamatas or add just one more anchovy fillet. It’s all up to you.
|PUTTANESCA SALSA|| |
- I cup chopped tomatoes (cherry tomatoes are especially good)
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp. rinsed and drained capers
- 2 anchovy fillets chopped
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1med garlic clove minced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch granulated sugar
- 2 tbs. coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the tomatoes, olives, capers and anchovy fillets in a medium bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a ten inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook stirring just until fragrant - about 10-15 seconds
- Add the salt and pepper, red pepper flakes and sugar and saute for about 5 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato mixture.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh basil.
- Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days
This sauce is fabulous on grilled Italian sausages served crusty buns. Click on PUTTANESCA SALSA and bring a little Italian to your dinner table.