I consider this the best pumpkin pie I’ve ever made. AND THE EASIEST!! I have been making pumpkin pie for more than fifty years of Thanksgivings. Trying various recipes. One that almost made the best pumpkin pie had pecans and a super sweet topping. But this recipe tops them all. Sweetened condensed milk creates a delicate yet rich, creamy texture. An intriguing combination of spices is perfectly matched to the pumpkin flavour. The filling is easy as pie (so to speak) to make.
If pastry making is not your forte use a gingersnap or a graham waffer crust or try my favorite pie crust. The secret to the perfect pumpkin pie (which is a custard) is to ALWAYS blind-bake your pastry. You’ll eliminate soggy crusts. Use canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling). And this is one time that canned is better than fresh (unless you have access to sweet pie pumpkins).
|SPICY PUMPKIN PIE|| |
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Whisk eggs in a medium size bowl
- Whisk in condensed milk
- Stir in in pumpkin until well blended.
- Stir in spices and salt.
- Pour into baked pie crust
- Bake pie at 400 F. for 20 minutes then turn down heat to 350 F
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 F or until thin knife blade inserted comes out clean.
- Garnish with whipped cream or serve with ice cream