Roasted rhubarb! Doesn’t it simply roll off your tongue. Roasted rhubarb! How intriguing. How absolutely delicious. Stalks of rhubarb roasted to sugary tartness. This simple method allows you to roast pieces of rhubarb to a delicate tenderness that stays almost intact.
Rhubarb definitely has attitude. It can be difficult to prepare. It demands all your skill and attention. A few minutes to long on the heat and you have mush. Roasting your rhubarb is the secret to perfectly tender, perfectly whole pieces of rhubarb. It couldn’t be simpler. Simply sprinkle with a little sugar. A scatter of grated zest or orange or rhubarb, pop it in a very hot oven and VOILA you have superb rhubarb sauce.
Spoon it into a crystal goblet. Lavish it with cream. You have the perfect ending to a meal. Mix it into a dish of yoghourt. Sprinkle it with a little crunchy granola and breakfast is ready. It’s delicious with rice pudding. Serve it over slices of toasted pound cake with an extravagant splash of whipped cream and you have company fare. You can serve roasted rhubarb warm, at room temperature, or chilled. All this from a few stalks of rhubarb. ROASTED RHUBARB … it’s the perfect summer dessert.
- 1 pound trimmed rhubarb cut into 1½ inch pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- Grated zest of orange or lemon
- Honey if needed
- Centre rack in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the rhubarb with the sugar and zest in a baking pan that will hold them comfortably. A Pyrex pie plate is perfect.
- Let the mix rest for 5 minutes or just long enough for a little syrup to start to develop.
- Cover the pan with foil and roast the rhubarb for about 15 minutes. Check and if the sugar isn't almost completely melted, stir, re-cover the pan with the foil and roast for a few minutes more.
- Once the sugar is melted, remove the foil and roast for another 5 minutes, or until the syrup is bubbling.Remove the pan from the oven and let the rhubarb cool just enough for you to taste it. If you don't think the mix is sweet enough, add a little honey.