This is a cookie recipe that goes together rather quickly. It is very important that your butter is quite soft and that you whip the butter and sugar until it is very well combined and light and fluffy.
Choose a good quality semi-sweet chocolate. I use Callebaut chocolate. If you prefer you can substitute a generous cup of chocolate chips.
When adding the flour be careful not to over mix. Just until it is combined. When adding the chopped chocolate (or the chips) again mix just until combined.
You don’t have to chill this dough as it scoops and bakes best at room temperature. Avoid adding too much fleur de sel. Hold you hand about a foot above the baked cookies and allow the salt to fall evenly.
|FLEUR DE SEL DOUBLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES|| |
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder sifted
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (8 0z) unsalted butter ROOM TEMPERATURE
- ¾ cup loosely packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate coarsely chopped (or substitute 1 generous cup chocolate chips)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt or fleur de sel for garnish
- Center oven rack and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, c ream the butter and the sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about three to five minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the well creamed butter mixture, mixing until just combined.DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Add the chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) and mix just until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Roll the cookie dough into one-inch balls using your hands using an ice-cream scoop to portion the dough.
- Arrange 24 balls on each lined baking sheet, leaving ample space between them. GENTLY press the balls with the bottom of a cup until they are approximately ½-inch thick. Do not flatten these cookies too much.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the cookies are firm to the touch. For even baking rotate the sheets from front to back halfway through.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and IMMEDIATELY sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of coarse sea salt or fleur de sel.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheets before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely,.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Pingback: BRING A RICH, DARK, SALTY AND SWEET TREAT INTO YOUR KITCHEN . . . DOUBLE CHOCOLATE FLEUR DE SEL COOKIES | Bel' Occhio