Foxley’s Restaurant on Ossington in Toronto is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurant. We love their ribs and this inspired me to create this recipe. This is a two step recipe. You make the glaze first (you can do this a day a head of time). Then you roast the ribs.
Cover the ribs with half the sauce and roast them “meat side” down for 3 hours at about 275 – 300 degree. Check the ribs occasionally and baste with the sauce. Remove the ribs from the oven and increase the heat to 375F. Turn the ribs “meaty side” up and brush generously with the rest of the glaze. Return the ribs to the oven and roast for about 15 minutes until the ribs have a rich, glistening glaze.
Cut them into 2-3 rib portions. Sprinkle with finely chopped green onions. Serve with finger bowls and plenty of napkins. Bon appetit dear friends.
|THE BEST BACK RIBS EVER!! WITH A FOXLEY INSPIRED GLAZE|| |
- ¼ to ½ rack of pork ribs per person (2 racks for this recipe)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- The Glaze: Can be doubled
- 1 cup fine chopped shallots
- 2 tbs. olive oil or canola oil
- 1 tb. finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tb. oyster sauce
- 1 tb. fish sauce
- 1 tb. ketchup
- ¼ cup cooking molasses
- 1 tb. Asian chili sauce of 1 tsp. Sriracha sauce (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Generously salt and pepper the ribs
- Line a large baking pan with tin foil or parchment paper
- Make Glaze.
- Saute the shallots over medium to low heat until translucent. Do not brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute briefly.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, ketchup and cooking molasses and simmer on a low to medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Brush the ribs with a generous amount of the sauce and place meat side down in the baking pan. Cover tightly with tin foil and roast for 3 hours. Check occasionally and spoon more the glaze over the ribs if needed.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and turn the ribs meat side up. Brush the ribs with the remaining glaze and return to the oven.
- Increase the oven heat to 375F and continue roasting the ribs until they are a rich, mahogany brown.