When it’s not quite winter. Not quite spring. When dingy snow piles up in secret places. When thoughts of exotic get a ways dominate your day. This is the time to ladle out the exotic flavours of Thailand and Malaysia. And this is the soup that borrows from these cuisines and fills your soup bowl with its spicy taste balanced with sweet and sour back notes.
I like this recipe for its ease of preparation and the readily available ingredients. The only time consuming part of the recipe preparation is the julienned carrots. The recipe calls for green beans. When they are out of season I substitute tiny frozen green peas. The recipe is easily doubled.
The coconut milk I prefer to use is AROY-D. I also prefer AROY-D red curry paste. These products are readily available in most Asian grocery stores, of in the Asian food department of major grocery stores.
|ESCAPE TO SUNNY CLIMES with SPICY TOFU AND RED CURRY COCONUT SOUP|| |
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 generous tbsp julienned fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 2½ cups vegetable broth (vegetarian version) or use 2½ cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups julienned sliced carrots (about 5 slender carrots)
- 1½ cups green beans cut into 1 inch pieces or 1½ cups tiny frozen peas
- 1 (14 oz) package water-packed soft or medium tofu cut into ½ inch pieces
- Heat oil in a large,deep sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute lightly for about 30 seconds.
- Add curry paste and saute for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly until combined
- Add brown sugar and cook for another minute or so.
- Stir in the lime juice, zest of lime and soy sauce and give it all a quick stir.
- Add the coconut milk and mix well.
- Add the broth and scrap up and brown bits in your pan.
- Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer gently for l hour. Don't be tempted to shorten the cooking time. The coconut milk releases the rich cream and combines with the red curry paste during the low low simmer.
- Add your carrots and cook for 6 or 8 minutes.
- Add beans and cook for 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp and tender.
- If you are using green peas add them with the tofu and cook for 2 minutes.