If there ever was a time we needed comfort food it is today. Something sweet to sooth the soul and have you smiling with delight. A jelly roll to the rescue. What a delightful idea. Bake a cake. Spread jam on it and roll it up. Easy, peasy. The ingredients are all there in your kitchen – eggs, sugar, flour, flavouring and jam.
|JELLY ROLL TO THE RESCUE|| || |
: Mrs Butterfingers
A superb sponge cake roll filled with a variety of fillings such as jam, jelly, lemon curd, whipped cream and rich custards. Serve with ice cream for a spectacular dessert
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup superfine granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups sifted pastry or cake flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated lemon,lime or 2 teaspoons grated orange or tangerine rind
- Your choice of spreadable jam or jelly
- Butter a 12 by 18 by 1 inch jelly-roll pan. Line it with parchment paper. The paper should cover both the bottom and sides of the pan. Lightly butter the paper.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place the eggs in a large bowl and place the bowl over a pan of hot water. Whisk for 3 or 4 minutes to keep the eggs from cooking on the bottom.
- Add the sugar and let rest over the hot water until the mixture is a little warmer than room temperature.
- In a stand mixer, using the balloon whisk beat for ten minutes or until the mixture thickens, triples in bulk and is full of air.
- Sift the flour over the egg mixture a little at a time. Carefully fold the flour and the flavouring used into the eggs and sugar. Be careful not to disturb the air bubbles too much.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. The top of the roll will spring back when touched lightly. Do not over-bake.
- As soon as you take the roll out of the oven turn it out on to a dish towel sprinkled with granulated sugar.
- Peel off the paper and trim the edges of the cake.
- Immediately, while the cake is still warm take the short end of the cake and roll. Place the cake with the seam end down and let cool thoroughly before unrolling and filling.
- Fill with spreadable jam or jelly, lemon curd, whipped cream or custard.
- Dust the roll with powdered sugar or frost with your favorite frosting.
A classic sponge cake is not difficult to make. Simply carefully follow the instructions. The eggs must be a room temperature, or a little warmer, and then beaten with sugar for at least ten minutes, or until thickened, tripled in bulk and full of air. It requires no leavening other than the air that is beaten into the eggs.
Pingback: A JELLY ROLL TO THE RESCUE | Bel' Occhio
I remember jello rolls from Germany, they were always slathered with whipped cream. Yours looks wonderful.
Jelly roll with whipped cream – perfection. Bon Appetit, Virginia