Of all the soups I make this is my number one favourite. This recipe is wonderful to serve to friends and family when you want something impressive, completely different and absolutely delicious. The recipe is beautifully spicy but you can easily adjust this by the amount of red curry paste you use. The recipe is easily adapted for vegetarians. Simply replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
|Carrot-Coconut Soup|| |
- ¼ cup (2 oz) unsalted butter
- 1 generous pound of peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 medium onion chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 cups home-made chicken stock (or best quality low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes
- Add red curry paste and continue stirring occasionally for another ten minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are very soft and liquid is slightly reduced, 40 - 45 minutes.
- Let soup cool slightly, the puree with a hand-held blender until smooth.
- Check your seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary
- Divide soup among soup bowls and garnish with cilantro of parsley.
- DO AHEAD; Soup can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.