One could be forgiven for keeping one of the key ingredients of this cake a secret. Those who grow zucchini know that overnight a zucchini can morph to a monstrous size. At least that is what it seems. We’ve enjoyed healthy zucchini muffins and loaf cakes. But this bundt cake is gorgeously different. A bundt cake rich with bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder. A bundt cake that takes chocolate and zucchini and gives you a cake that is gloriously tender and wonderfully moist.
This so very timely recipe is from the pages of ZOE BAKES CAKES by Zoe Francois. A fabulous cook book that contains everything you need to know about cakes!
|DARKLY DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BUNDT CAKE
- 2 cups(315g) packed grated unpeeled zucchini.
- 4 oz(115g)bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ⅔ cup(270g) dutch-processed cocoa powder plus extra for dusting
- 2¼ cups (270g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup (110g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup(150g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup(120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup (120g) plain full-fat yogurt or sour cream
- Cut ends off zucchini and remove any tough seeds if it is large zucchini.Use a box grater or the grater attachment on your food processor to shred the zucchini.
- Melt the chocolate and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325F(165c)
- Generously grease the bundt pan and dust heavily with cocoa powder,. Work the butter and cocoa into the nooks of the pan.
- Sift the cocoa to remove any lumps. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the sifted cocoa. Mix well
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter on medium high speed until creamy and smooth.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and add both sugars to the butter and mix until incorporated.
- Drizzle in the oil and vanilla. Turn the speed to medium high and beat until very light and fluffy.
- Scrape the bowl often for even incorporation.
- Turn the speed to medium low and add the eggs one at a time beating just until combined. Scrape the bowl after each addition.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture mixing on low speed just until combined.,
- Add half of the yogurt mixing until incorporated.
- Repeat with another one-third flour, then the remaining yogurt and finish with the final one-third flour. Scrap the bowl and paddle after each addition.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the zucchini until it is evenly distributed.
- Add the chocolate and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Gently tap the pan on the counter several times to make sure the batter has fully settled into the nooks of the bundt.
- Bake until a tester come out with MOIST crumbs , about an hour. About15 minutes before the.allotted bake time check your cake. DO NOT OVERBAKE. This is the secret to insure the cake has a creamy chocolaty finish.
- Let the cake cool in the ;pan for 10 minutes then flip it out onto a serving plate and dust the top with cocoa before serving.