Making scones is so easy and the results are so spectacular. Over the years I have tried many recipes but this is the all time best. From start to finish you can have scones on the breakfast table in just over 30 minutes.
First of all turn your oven to 400 degrees F. and have the rack in the centre of the oven.
Collect the ingredients and have everything at room temperature except the butter. If you haven’t done this ahead of time heat the egg in a bowl of warm water and gently warm the buttermilk in the microwave.
You’ll notice the amount of buttermilk is not precise. The amount you’ll need will depend on the humidity that day. You want just enough liquid to hold your dough together. If you get too carried away with adding the extra buttermilk don’t worry. Just drop your scones on the baking sheet. I promise you they will still be delicious.
The next cool morning make yourself this treat.
|SCRUMPTIOUS FRUIT SCONES|| |
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon soda and 2 teaspoons baking power
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter (or hard margarine)
- ½ cup dried fruit - apricots, raisins currents, cherries blueberries
- grated lemon peel
- 1 large egg
- ½ to 1 cup buttermilk.
- Whisk the flour, sugar soda, salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until most the mixture is the size of very small peas with a few bigger pieces. If you don't have a pastry blender use two knives.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg and butter milk together.
- Make a well in the centre of your flour mixture and add the liquid.
- Stir this together gently just until all the flour mixture comes together.
- Briefly stir in the fruit and lemon peel. If you have too much flour mixture sitting at the bottom of your bowl stir in a little more butter milk.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead about 10 times - just until the dough comes together. It may look a little rough or ragged. That's OK.
- Pat the dough into a circle about ¾ inch deep. Don't skimp here you want the scones to be voluptuous, lovely and high.
- Cut into six or eight edges.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for ten to twelve minutes. Serve while still warm lavishly spread with butter . Enjoy