This is a wickedly delicious, can’t-stop-eating luxurious treat. The addition of whole almonds, the deep, rich caramel flavour and the crunch of sea salt elevates popcorn to a new high in the world of snacks. It comes with a warning. It is positively addictive!
|SWEET AND SALTY CARAMEL NUT POPCORN||
- 1 cup (250 ml) of popping corn
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (750 ml) whole almonds – with or without skins
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) light corn syrup
- 1 tsp (5) vanilla
- ¼ tsp ( l ml) baking soda
- Pop the corn using your preferred method. You need about 10 cups/2.5 L popped corn .
- Butter generously the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- Mix the popcorn and almonds and add to the pan.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and corn syrup and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and boil gently for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour the hot mixture over the corn mixture and stir well to combine.
- Bake in a 250F (120 C) oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes until the popcorn and nuts are dry.
- Cool in the pan, stirring occasionally to loosen and nuts and popcorn from the bottom of the pan.
Have fun and vary this recipe by substituting unsalted roasted cashews, salted roasted macadamia nuts or pecan halves or any combination of these nuts.
You can prepare this treat ahead and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to l week. Bet it doesn’t last 5 minutes!!!!