Kale is the ‘IT’ vegetable this year. And, with a very good reason. The payoff from this leafy green is loads of vitamin C, beta-carotene, calcium and antioxidants. Kale is extremely versatile. You can steam it, saute it, add it to a salad or casserole, make kale chips and even add it to smoothies. This recipe for curried kale with coconut is the perfect side to serve with your favorite Asian food. It’s simple to whip up, and can be served at room temperature.
|CURRIED KALE WITH COCONUT||
- ¼ cup unsweetened or sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ to ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- 10 cups stemmed and torn kale (about l large bunch) or mustard greens
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of a fresh lime
- Heat oven to 350F .
- Spread coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally until golden – 3 to 5 minutes ; let cool.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, a good sprinkle of salt and the crushed red pepper.
- Cook stirring occasionally until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about l minute.
- Add as much kale to the skillet as will fit, ½ cup water, a little salt and ¼ tsp black pepper.
- Cook tossing frequently and adding more kale when there is room, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add half the coconut and stir to combine.
- Add the lime juice to the kale in the skillet and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with the coconut.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.