My beautiful vegetable garden rewards me everyday with gorgeous fresh vegetables. This morning the vibrant rows of beets beckoned me. I searched among the rows for the beets that were growing a little too big for their own good. This recipe for Beet salad is wonderful refreshing, and even though it looks mayonnaisey it is lighter than it looks. Greek yogurt is the trick . This is wonderful with fresh beets roasted or boiled. You can even make this salad with canned beets. It’s the ying and the yang of the sweet beets and the sour yougart gives this salad such an outstanding flavour.
|BEETS WITH GREEK YOGURT||
- 1½ pounds beets leaves trimmed (or 1 lb 2 oz canned beets)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups Greek yogurt
- If using fresh beets, cut the stems well above the bulb.
- Cook the beets either by covering them with water and boiling until tender. Or, wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil and bake for about one until tender when tested with a sharp knife.
- Whisk the oil in a bowl with the lemon juice and garlic.It will thicken and become opaque.
- Peel the beets wearing kitchen gloves if you don’t want pink stained fingers.
- Trim away the root and cut the beets into nice chunks – fork size.
- Put the beets into your salad bowl and add the lemon oil and garlic mixture.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and gently mix.
- Add the yogurt and mix gently.
- Scatter the chopped parsley on top and serve.