This is one of those desserts you like to make over and over again. It is so simple – requiring just one bowl. The ingredients are pantry friendly. It takes just a few minutes to whip up. Served warm fresh out of the oven it is an absolutely splendid way to end a meal. Rich caramelized butter and brown sugar combine with tart pineapple in this cake that you bake it one way up – and serve it the other way down!
|OLD-FASHIONED PINEAPPLE UPSDIE DOWN CAKE|| |
- 3 tbs butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 6 slices pineapple or one generous cup drained, diced pineapple
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup soft shortening or butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven 350F
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- In an 8" x 8" x 2" cake pan add the butter and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Heat in oven until bubbly
- Remove from oven and arrange pineapple over butterscotch mixture
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and stir thoroughly with a whisk to blend
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is a fine crumb.
- Make a hollow and add eggs and whisk to combine yolks and whites.
- Add milk and combine with eggs then combine with dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened.
- Pour over the pineapple mixture.
- Bake in 350F for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Turn out on plate with pineapple side up.
- Serve plain or with whipped cream.
- If desired, arrange maraschino cherries in between pieces of pineapple before baking cake.
mix ingredients just until moistened