Follow your sausage machines directions carefully. Tie the sausages together in links as it comes out the machine. Work bubbles out as you do this. Now all you have to do is fire up the BBQ. Be sure to cook the sausages completely. If you don’t have a sausage machine you can still whip up a batch of Boerewors by forming them into patties much like a burger.
|HOW TO MAKE SOUTH AFRICAN SAUSAGE (Boerewors)|| |
: Mrs. Butterfingers
South African sausages. He gave me the recipe from a friend in South African. Take one cow, one pig, etc. Just a little more Boerewors than I want to deal with.
- 2 pounds regular ground beef (not extra lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 5 generous tsp of whole coriander seeds
- ½ tsp whole cloves
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine or dark vinegar
- pork sausage casings, soaked in water (Ask your butcher for enough for 3 pounds of sausage.)
- In a small dry sauce pan, over medium heat, toast the coriander seeds and cloves until brown. Grind them in a spice grinder, or use a mortar and pestle. Strain into a bowl (to remove the husks etc) and add the rest of the seasonings and sugar.
- Put the meat in a very large mixing bowl. Mix it together lightly with your hands. Sprinkle the wine over the meat, then sprinkle the seasonings on the mixture. Lightly mix with your hands and chill, covered, for at least eight hours or overnight. (Be sure to scrub your hands and all bowls well with hot, soapy water. Do no cross-containment anything in your kitchen. You are dealing with raw meat and you should be careful not to touch kitchen cupboard drawer pulls, fridge handles etc unless your hands are scrupulously clean)
- If you're making these sausages you obviously have a sausage machine. Follow your machines directions carefully. Tie the sausages together in links as it comes out the machine. Work bubbles out as you do this. Now all you have to do is fire up the BBQ and be sure to cook the sausages completely.