WALNUT-BREADCRUMB PASTA WITH A SOFT EGG
The perfectly cooked soft egg coats the pasta and adds rich flavour to this rustic dish. You can whip this wonderfully different pasta dish up in maybe twenty minutes. Best part you probably have the ingredients in your pantry. This recipe is so delicious, so addictive you are going to want to prepare this once a week. Served with a tossed green salad and you have dinner faster than take-out delivery.
|WALNUT-BREADCRUMB PASTA WITH A SOFT EGG|| |
- 4 large eggs (or 2 eggs per person - your choice)
- A piece of French bread baguette, torn into small pieces or 2 ounces of panko or any kind of bread crumbs. ( a generous half cup will do )
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fat garlic cloves, minced (A generous tablespoon)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces linguine - fresh or dried
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley, either curly or flat leaf
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives or green onions
- ½ cup (1½ ounces) crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese
- Put your shallow pasta bowls in a warm oven.
- Prepare your eggs according to the directions in HOW TO EAT AN EGG. Cook the egg for just 4 minutes and be sure to run cold water over them. Set the eggs aside.
- Place bread in food processor and process until you have medium size crumb,
- Coarsely chop walnuts
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil (all 3 tbsp) to the pan, and swirl to coat. Add garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds, STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
- Add breadcrumb mixture, salt and pepper to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. The crumbs brown quickly so don't neglect your pan.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add pasta to the breadcrumb mixture; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with parsley and chives; toss to combine.
- Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 warm bowls, and using a very sharp knife cut the eggs in half and scoop out onto the pasta.
- Sprinkle the pasta with generous pieces of cheese. Serve immediately.
- This serves 4. But, two hungry people will down most of this dish.